Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Past Winners Locations

In my previous post, I talked about major badminton locations and why Asia are so dominant in the badminton world. This post is about where the past winners of the BWF World Championships came from, and the results may surprise you.
For now, lets put aside the amount of times a player (or players) from a country have won a medal (or medals). The first thing I noticed when I looked at this is that North America have won at least a gold medal. I don't know how big badminton is in America, but I do know that people from North America don't enter tournaments very often and that the highest ranking person from the USA men's singles is ranked 60th in the world. This shows that badminton may have been popular back a few years ago. Its a shame that people from America don't show up in major tournaments anymore and I hope that they get back into badminton and turn up with some more world-class players.

It also shows that England have won gold, and that Scotland have won silver, which shows that the Asian countries are not always the top dogs.

I just want people to appreciate this map and where previous winners of the World Championships have come from, and to maybe influence badminton players from anywhere that they can make it to the big tournaments, regardless of geographical location





Image source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment